what is umqra?
When Sherlock, John, and Henry went out at night to look for the hound, John saw flashing lights. He wrote the pattern of flashes down, believing it to be a message in Morse code.
If read as Morse dots and dashes, the flashing lights spelled out “UMQRA.” John thought this might be a clue that related to the mystery of the hound.
When he investigated the source of the flashing lights later, though, John discovered that it had never really been Morse code. It was just random flashes of headlights caused by people who were dogging.
Do you think U.M.Q.R.A meant anything in the Hounds of Baskerville? Will it come back to haunt us?
I think we’ve seen the last of UMQRA. The letters turned out to be a random, meaningless coincidence.
Additionally, the whole idea of John seeing a signal sent with light at night was inspired by a similar situation in the book The Hounds of Baskerville was based on. It’s tied to that specific story.
"I was doing no harm, sir. I was holding a candle to the window."
"And why were you holding a candle to the window?"
"Don’t ask me, Sir Henry—don’t ask me! I give you my word, sir, that it is not my secret, and that I cannot tell it. If it concerned no one but myself I would not try to keep it from you."
A sudden idea occurred to me, and I took the candle from the trembling hand of the butler.
"He must have been holding it as a signal," said I. "Let us see if there is any answer." I held it as he had done, and stared out into the darkness of the night. Vaguely I could discern the black bank of the trees and the lighter expanse of the moor, for the moon was behind the clouds. And then I gave a cry of exultation, for a tiny pin-point of yellow light had suddenly transfixed the dark veil, and glowed steadily in the centre of the black square framed by the window.
- loveandmarshmallowclouds reblogged this from finalproblem
- drugsdestroylove likes this
- tenijebian likes this
- sybrify likes this
- sybrify reblogged this from finalproblem
- 0nceuponabowtie reblogged this from finalproblem
- annah-is-so-cool-like-not reblogged this from finalproblem
- broken-back-from-heavy-heart likes this
- ramintafromlt likes this
- consultingvelociraptor likes this
- fylisis likes this
- that-crazy-ginger-04 reblogged this from finalproblem
- that-crazy-ginger-04 likes this
- feather-in-universe likes this
- icecreamstrokes likes this
- prince-rogers reblogged this from finalproblem
- wibblywobblytime-ywhimey likes this
- silverbutterfly07 likes this
- anti-pococurantism likes this
- karenngyay likes this
- umisherlockhobbitloki reblogged this from finalproblem
- lilyevanz likes this
- amc815 likes this
- theimpalaslovechild reblogged this from finalproblem
- magicmozquito likes this
- fuckyouimaperverbitch likes this
- alicefallsintoreality reblogged this from finalproblem
- alicefallsintoreality likes this
- hekepthisvow likes this
- hekepthisvow reblogged this from finalproblem
- redtonguesandhands72 reblogged this from finalproblem and added:
- redtonguesandhands72 likes this
- tigurre likes this
- xoxfangurlxox likes this
- damnmyjam likes this
- fleeing-from-life likes this
- the---world likes this
- dead-pendragon likes this
- ive-never-seen-it-brighter likes this
- munkyboywndr reblogged this from finalproblem
- noblevargases likes this
- trashofurban likes this
- dinosaurings reblogged this from stareslikeanowl
- stareslikeanowl reblogged this from finalproblem
- waltdisneyismyhero likes this
- iamthegeek likes this
- jali3993 likes this
- seek-locate-exterminate likes this
- iamabighippo likes this